With the right lifestyle changes, healthy habits, dietary choices, and supplementation you can protect yourself against the most common causes of DNA damage and even potentially repair damaged DNA.
We’ve compiled a quick guide with top tips on how to prevent and reverse DNA damage naturally. Read on to learn more.
What is DNA damage?
DNA damage is any modification to DNA that changes its properties and affects its normal functioning.
DNA damage is different from DNA mutation and can occur naturally (such as with aging) or due to various environmental causes. It’s linked to high levels of oxidative stress in the body.
Common causes of DNA damage
Lifestyle factors such as poor sleep, an unhealthy diet, substance abuse, and high stress levels are some of the most common causes of DNA damage. What you put into your body and what your body is exposed to matters.
Environmental factors such as UV rays, cigarette smoke, pollution, and toxins from our foods all lead to increased DNA damage as well.
Why protecting your DNA is important
DNA stability is key to living a long and healthy life free of disease. However, our DNA is vulnerable to damage from many different sources and environmental toxins. The ability of the body to repair itself declines with age, and DNA damage eventually accumulates, accelerates the aging process, and leads to an increased risk of cancer and other degenerative diseases.
Can you repair damaged DNA?
Our bodies naturally repair themselves, although the ability to do so drastically decreases as we age. As cells become less efficient at repairing DNA damage, the damage accumulates, and aging related diseases begin to surface. While you can’t stop the aging process, there are ways to prevent DNA damage from occurring and even help the body repair damaged DNA.
In combination with the various diet and lifestyle factors outlined below, taking the right supplements can help you repair damaged DNA.
Top tips to protect against DNA damage naturally
With the right strategies you can improve your overall health and protect against DNA damage naturally.
Some of these top tips include:
- Get enough sleep: Ensuring that you get enough sleep is a key factor in protecting against DNA damage. When you sleep, your body is able to repair itself on a cellular level. Sleep deprivation can lead to heart problems, poor mental health, reduced immune function, and other health issues. The CDC recommends that adults get at least 7 hours of sleep per night.
- Exercise regularly: The CDC recommends that adults get at least 2.5 hours (or 150 minutes) of physical activity each week in order to stay fit and healthy. Even something as simple as going for a walk a few times a week can improve your health. According to several scientific studies, physical activity may actually increase DNA repair in addition to protecting DNA and reducing the effects of aging.
- Try natural supplements: There are a number of natural supplements designed to promote anti-aging and offer other protective qualities. For example, taking a Hydroxytyrosol supplement like Olea25 daily has numerous health benefits including protecting against free radicals and lowering inflammation. Other common supplements for DNA repair include selenium, Vitamin E, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, folate, and beta-carotene. The Olea25 linked above is made by Longevity By Nature, an all natural supplement company with clinically tested supplements that are made in the USA.
- Eat a healthy diet: Some foods that can protect against DNA damage include Brazil nuts, apples, mangos, oranges, apricots, watermelon, papayas, blueberries, and leafy greens.
- Reduce meat intake: Part of eating a healthy diet that protects against DNA damage is to reduce your overall meat intake. Eating large quantities of meat (especially red meat) leads to a higher risk of genetic damage and certain degenerative diseases. Eating too much meat can increase your chances of having a stroke or developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, or cancer.
- Smoothies with fruits rich in nutrients known to protect DNA: One great way to get all of these foods in one meal is to make smoothies with all of the fruits and veggies rich in nutrients that are known to protect DNA. Your morning meal can pack a powerful punch that promotes healing. Drink smoothies on a daily basis and watch the benefits to your overall health and energy increase.
- Use sunscreen: DNA damage of the skin caused by UV rays can increase your risk of developing skin cancer in addition to causing wrinkles, sunspots, and other skin damage. Using sunscreen on a daily basis protects against cellular damage on the skin level caused by free radicals.
- Quit smoking: Cigarettes are one of the main culprits in DNA degeneration. Studies have shown for decades that smoking cigarettes causes DNA damage which leads to all kinds of health issues such as lung cancer. Even worse, the damage caused by smoking is often irreversible, causing permanent damage to your DNA. The sooner you quit smoking – the better.
- Reduce stress: Chronic stress can lead to all kinds of health issues in the body including DNA damage. Manage your mental health and stress levels by living a balanced life and implementing time management strategies.
Shop Longevity by Nature
Longevity by Nature offers a variety of cutting-edge nutritional supplements designed to complement your health and wellness journey. All of our products are FDA compliant, made in the USA, free of GMOs, clinically proven, and tested according to government regulations.
To protect against DNA damage naturally, try Olea25. Olea25 has the highest ORAC value discovered to date worldwide and combats five predominant reactive species, along with an amphiphilic structure that is an endogenous phenolic molecule, cell permeable nutrient and essential for cellular longevity. Olea25 is 25% hydroxytyrosol. Hydroxytyrosol is a phenolic phytochemical with highly therapeutic antioxidant properties that are concentrated on cytosol and cell membranes. Hydroxytyrosol offers many health benefits and is being used by cancer patients and those at-genetic-risk of cancer.
One of the best ways to protect your health is to be proactive. Implementing natural supplements into your daily routine is one way to be proactive. Longevity By Nature offers a variety of safe and effective natural supplements. For 3 decades and counting, Longevity By Nature has worked under the management of inventions, research development and innovative raw material technology. Every formula utilizes high-end pharmaceutical food grade ingredients with all cofactor constituents intact.
Explore more best selling supplements from Longevity by Nature
Related Blog Posts
- What are Telomeres?
- Tips to Protect Against DNA Damage
- How Can I Boost DNA Repair Naturally?
- What are “Zombie Cells” & Their Role in Aging?
- Why Do We Lose Telomeres as We Age?
- How to Protect Your Telomeres & Increase Longevity
- Why Do Telomeres Shorten With Age?
- Why is Telomere Length Important in Aging?
- Tips to Slow Down Telomere Shortening
- Tips to Slow Down Cellular Aging