What is a Persimmon Leaf?
A Persimmon leaf comes from a deciduous tree that is mainly grown throughout China, Korea, and Japan. The leaves are extremely high in fiber as well as other nutrients like vitamin C, amino acids, magnesium, and tannins. Often they are used to make a decaffeinated tea that aids in digestion as well as provides antioxidants like flavonoids, triterpenoids, and tannins. The persimmon leaf is also used to make tempura and well as used to wrap sushi. In Japan, they like to use the leaf to wrap sushi because they are believed to have a bactericidal preserving effect on fish and other types of seafood. Though the Persimmon tree is widely famous in Japan, they are technically native to China and are equally as important and popular. The fruit of the tree is a highly sought-after fruit that can be found in markets all across China. In the mid-1800s the tree made its way to Europe and the United States where the benefits of the Persimmon leaf were soon discovered by its citizens as well.
What are Persimmon Leaves Good For?
Persimmon leaves are an excellent digestive aid that can help purify the liver. Purifying the liver is essential to helping the body rid itself of excess waste. As the natural detoxifier of your body, the liver can sometimes get overwhelmed with toxins. Your body can potentially hold onto waste for months or even years. There is a whole array of health issues that can be caused by having too many built-up toxins in your system. Health problems like joint pain, allergies, skin problems, and constipation are just a few of the many problems someone with an excess of waste can experience. By consuming persimmon leaf tea or a supplement, you can help cleanse the liver of those built-up toxins your body has been holding onto. You also may experience a boost of energy as sugars, processed foods, caffeine, and other types of “bad” foods are washed away.
Persimmon leaves have also been found to help control blood sugar levels for individuals with type 2 diabetes. It is the high concentration of magnesium that may be the source of the blood sugar level control.
The antioxidants contained within the leaves, such as flavonoids, triterpenoids, carotenoids, and tannins can provide anti-inflammatory benefits as well as help slow down the aging process. These antioxidants can work to counteract free radicals that can damage DNA and cells. Free radicals can enter the body through air pollution, tobacco smoke, ultraviolet rays, and several other ways. The body actually produces some free radicals on its own as well. It is important to consume antioxidants for not only the expelling of free radicals but for their anti-inflammatory properties as well. Anti-inflammatories work in the body to reduce swelling and pain in the joints that can be caused by inflammation.
What are the Benefits & Uses of Persimmon Leaves?
As we have previously discussed many of the benefits of Persimmon leaves, let us take a closer look at a few of these more concrete benefits your body may enjoy:
- Weight loss: The digestive and liver purifying properties of Persimmon leaves can help you lose weight by cleansing your liver to help you metabolize fats better and improve your hormonal balance. A sign of hormonal imbalance is excess weight. Excess weight has many harmful effects on our entire bodies. Causes extra stress on our joints. Makes our hearts work harder and can even lead to cardiac arrest. Excess weight can also contribute to certain types of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.
- Antioxidants: The antioxidants in Persimmon leaves can slow down the aging process by helping cleanse your body of free radicals that attack your DNA and cells. Antioxidants are also a powerful source to fight against inflammation in the body. Inflammation causes many terrible side effects that can cause pain, swelling, and discomfort in the joints, tendons, and ligaments. If you are someone with arthritis, you want to ensure you maintain a healthy diet that is rich in foods rich in antioxidants and other anti-inflammatory foods.
- Skin health: The same free radicals that attack your DNA and cells, also attack your skin cells. They can damage the membrane of your skin cells increasing the rate of wrinkles by decreasing elasticity in the skin.
- Anti-hypertension: Hypertension and high blood pressure can be caused by inflammation through the restricting of blood flowing through the body. Persimmon leaves contain anti-inflammatory properties that can strengthen and widen the blood vessels to allow the free flow of blood through major arteries and organs.
- Digestive health: Persimmon leaves are a natural digestive aid that can improve overall digestive health. Digestive health is important because it may have an impact on the health of your entire body. When your gut is healthy, it can improve your sleep, boost your immune system, improve cardiovascular health, improve your mood, boost your energy levels, and keep your brain healthy. If your gut is unhealthy, there may be an increased risk of autoimmune disease and cancer.
- Heart health: Good heart health comes from good digestive health and antioxidants. By reducing inflammation in your body through the consumption of foods rich in antioxidants, you can improve circulation, reduce hypertension, lower your blood pressure, all of which will ensure your heart does not need to work harder than it should to circulate blood and keep your body active.
- Strong joints: Since Persimmon leaves contain natural anti-inflammatories, they can help to keep your joints and ligaments strong as you age. Having strong joints can help prevent injuries like sprains, strains, and tears. Injuries like these can cause great pain, and if not properly healed, they can lead to long term chronic pain.
- Blood sugar control for type 2 diabetes: Being diabetic can add many stresses to your life from balancing medication to always being concerned with how the foods you eat will affect your blood sugar levels. The strong concentrations of magnesium in Persimmon leaves can actually help your body maintain its own blood sugar levels naturally.
There are many benefits to consumption of Persimmon leaves, either through tea or through taking a natural supplement. Above are only a fraction of the possible benefits that may want to consider for boosting your overall health.
Try Persimonal from Longevity by Nature
Learn More About Persimonal™ from Danielle Lin